Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Tipping Point-My Interpretation

After reading "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell, I found that I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to any up-and-coming communicator. Although it has been criticized, which you should research for yourself, I believe that this book serves a simple purpose. It makes sense of things in culture that we can't quite put our finger on: The understanding of social epidemics. Gladwell gives us a name for the spark of an epidemic. He explains reasoning for the epidemic, supplies us with who help to create and strengthen the epidemic, and describes how and why these things worked.

As Gladwell explains, "The Tipping Point" is the point that pushes a trend, behavior, rating or response to the edge. There, it receives uncomparable recognition and success. However, there are key players such as Connectors, Mavens and Salesmen who are the human force behind an epidemic. From there, the Stickiness, as Gladwell has coined it, of your message is vital:it must be something that people can identify with and something that persuades people to act. This can be a small but powerful adjustment to your message.
Lastly, Gladwell tells us that The Power of Context is the last ingredient to the perfect epidemic. This concept refers to the state and shape of the enviornment where the epidemic is attemting to emerge.

From all of this, I found two things most interesting in 'The Tippin Point"
1.) A 80/20 Rule Gladwell uses to describe and catogorize workers in the world. He believes that 20 percent of people handle 80 percent of the work and responsibility in certain situations. This is evident if we look around our classroom and/or workplace. Have you ever had to work in a group project or on a group assignment? It never fails that some people are just workers and others are simply not. It's a mystery that they've gotten this far in life.-something we all want to say right?

2.)I found the idea of Connectors, Mavens and Salesmen genius as to categorize the people we know in our everyday life.
Connectors as those people who know a lot of people. As for pop culture, rapper Trick Daddy says it the best: "I know somebody, who knows somebody, who knows somebody." Those people who tend to be socialites and great networkers, in my opinion, fall into this category. Next are Mavens. These people are information seekers, keepers and sharers. Commonly called "know-it-alls." they know people, places and prices like the back of their hand. Mavens know their stuff and enjoy sharing their knowlege with others. They are also trusted for their opinion. These are the people who always know the inside scoop on sales, trips and other great finds.

Lastly, there are Salesmen. These are the people who have the natural charisma to sell an idea or product. Those who fit this category could sell us air if they made it sound good enough to buy.

Nonethless, these three categories are what Gladwell calls the Law of The Few. If your message passes through these individuals, you may be on the brink of a tipping point.

These categories made me consider where I would fall into place. Can you find your spot?

3 comments:

  1. As I read through your post I could not help but to notice that I found the same two topics most interesting. I certainly can agree with you on your comment about the 80/20 rule. I often wonder how those 80 percent of people who never do anything end up getting anywhere in life. But that is not meant for us to know in this lifetime. I guess thats why I have always made sure I wasn't considered the "shammer" in the group. It could be a possiblity that those 20 percent were raised to be hardworkers, or it might even have something to do with genetics.
    I really enjoyed reading how Gladwell broke people down into categories of Connectors, Mavens, and Salesmen. If I had to answer your ending question, I would definitely have to say that I see myself as a Connector. Anybody who knows me would probably agree. Everybody has always told me that it seems like I know everybody. I think its my personality which allows me to feel comfortable talking to complete strangers. But I personally like people. Maybe its the extrovert in me, but I enjoy being around others. As my mother would call me a "social butterfly".
    Overall, your post was very interesting and we seem to feel the same way about "The Tipping Point". It is a good book for anyone honestly, not just people who want to be communicators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just as interested in the law of the few - probably because I immediately began to place myself into one of the three categories. I believe I would be a Connector and a Salesman. I believe I know or have the ability to connect with a wide variety of people and networks. I have very eclectic interests and am curious in all types of people.... I feel I can learn something from just about anybody! I think I have a little salesman in me as well, but my ability to sway opinions is most prevelant when I'm faced with issues that I am passionate about. There's no rule saying you can't have a little bit of both right? :)

    My concern in the "Law of the Few" rule is that professionals in the business world may be taking for granted just how influential smaller groups can be. Gladwell does an excellent job at giving examples of how far word-of-mouth can reach. From your message above it would seem that you agree and recognize the need for communicators to read this book and truly understand the power of the "grapevine". Excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You highlighted great key points from The Tipping Point: biased argument from the author, Malcolm Gladwell, and the three critical components of an epidemic.
    However, as I reflect on the reading, a question comes to mind. Every time a connector, a maven and a salesperson get together will an epidemic form? sounds like a stupid question, but I beg to differ.

    ReplyDelete