Monday, April 12, 2010

Open ID, a cool digital discovery

OpenID, founded in 2005, is an online service that allows users to authenticate their ID when accessing online sites. This service allows for users to eliminate logging into one site at a time. Instead, this service allows for one-time log in, which then connects you to all sites you have membership with. From there you will no longer have to create accounts or profiles with other sites. You simply provide the potential site with your OpenID which holds all of your personal identification needed to register for that site.

No one company owns OpenID. Individuals and businessmen/women alike can either participate with OpenID or create their own provider. Sites such as Google, Yahoo and MySpace are some of the many sites that support OpenID for their users. The OpenID Foundation was created in 2007 to ensure the support of the OpenID community and its contributors. Other similar ID authentication providers are ClaimID and myid.net.

With most online sites,usually there is some hassle when registering.With OpenID, the registration process is eliminated;confirmation email is no longer needed,and password protection and recovery. More specifically for business owners, OpenID, like many other authentication providers, shares demographic information, which makes it easier to access this information and market their products/services more effectively to users. It is very simple and easy to use OpenID. If you are a member of any of the previous listed sites, you already have this service. By visiting the website, http://openid.net/ you will see the instructions to access OpenID through those accounts and many more.

3 comments:

  1. This gadget is so cool to me. I personally have so many usernames and passwords that it makes it hard for me to keep track of all of them. I have had to write everything down and even then it is still a pain. What I like about this program is that it is useful for everyone not just professionals. I am actually about to sign up for it now! Thanks for presenting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this program because I have a lot of different accounts through several different sites and sometimes I forget my password. So with the use of this program I can log into the sites that I sometimes forget my password for and not have to go through the process of resetting my password several times. I'm thinking about in the future downloading this application.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think that OpenID will be helpful to both the corporate business world and everyday citizens. The service that OpenID provides would definitely be helpful to PR practitioners managing multiple account with various site log-in information to remember. With OpenID it is a one stop shop. One identification and password needed to manage all of your online accounts. This cuts out time being wasted by going to each site every time a task needs to be completed.I wish I would have thought of it.I might even consider using this application in the future.

    ReplyDelete